July 22, 2008

Lib 3: Reflections on Assignment 5 - Reference Sources

I just finished grading assignment 5 on Reference Sources. Interesting to note given the choice between using online reference sources, print reference sources or a combination of both, the majority of the class did most of their searches with online only resources. The few people who went to a library and used print resources and the ones who used a combination were refreshing to read.

Most people went to IPL.org and performed searches there. Several students seemed frustrated with the idea that they could not just google for the answers. Sure, we all know that can be done, but what will that teach us? My goal is to show students other resources, reputable resources that can be used online. For instance several students have greatly enjoyed biography.com and artcyclopedia.com. Some students have discovered factmonster.com which looks useful but is geared toward elementary and middle school students. It is a great site to show your kids and help them with their homework.

Anyways, I digress. The point is that some students used IPL to search for their topic (example: Margaret Sanger) and some searched for the reference they wanted like "biography." I found this to be quite interesting. When performing that exact search above, you won't find anything useful by typing in Margaret Sanger. The searching for "biography" is the better bet.

Some students avoiding the search box and used the subject links on the left side of the page. Looking at the bold subject Ready Reference they had a list of several different types of reference resources and chose one from that list. I think that is the best bet for this assignment. I want people to connect the resource they need to the specific type of information they are looking for. Find the RESOURCE, use the RESOURCE instead of depending on Google to do all the work.

Use a Quotation resource to find a quotation by Eleanor Roosevelt. There's TONS of quotation resources out there. The students who used a quotation source had a much easier time answering the question compared to the student who typed in a search for Eleanor Roosevelt.

It is so ingrained in us to just rely on the keyword searches (thank you google :-P) but sometimes there is a better, faster choice. Ready reference is general reference information easily searchable, up-to-date, not too detailed but detailed enough. Ready reference books or online sources can answer most, if not all, of the questions posed in Assignment 5.

All in all, I'm very pleased to see the work my students are producing. It's great to show them new ways of doing things and the feedback seems pretty positive. I only wish I could teach Library 3 more than just the summer term because I get so much out of it. I learn new things in these courses too - new ways of running the class, making the assignments easier to understand, new websites to utilize, etc.

7 comments:

Tee said...

I used books for this assignment so, I didn't know that ipl.org would be a great resource. I did decide to look further into the site. This site has so many different functions that I would use this site in the future... maybe even for my research guide... you never know... ^_^

Library3MsLara said...

I had a great time learning new ways to research. I actually have sooo many favorites that I have added to my list on my computer its crazy! I saved research sites that were valid and that I found easy to use.

Eventhough I mostly did my research online for this class doesnt mean i wont for future classes. Now that I understand more of what the library has to offer, I will definitly use it more. Most of the time its just the convienence for me to use the internet because i work full time and have two small children. i mostly do my assignments at work(on my breaks) or at home when they are sleep.

I have really enjoyed this class and never dreaded doing assignments for this class. I also really enjoyed the forums and interacting and reading comments about my postings on the forums and blogs!

Library3MsLara said...

OMG!! I love what I have learned.
I just wanted to thank you for teaching this course.

I took this class in addition to a History class this summer. I needed to do reasearch for a paper in my history class and I used Proquest to help me do so. I found so much literature that will help me in writing this essay. Before finding this, I was so lost. When I searched and found what I was looking for I was relieved!! Thank you so much.
I am already using what I know and applying it to my education now!!

Joanne said...

I learned a lot in Assignment 5 because it took me to resources I have never used. I definitely have added them to my list of favorites.

One thing I find very effective when you review or comment on assignments, you provide additional information for us to check out...IPL.org is one of them for me.

You said you wish you could teach Lib3 more than just for the summer. Why can't you? Is there not enough people for the class? That is certainly not the case here. Do you teach other classes in the Fall, Winter and Spring? If so, are they online classes? Will you be involved in with the Library Tech Program offered this Fall?

isanchez1212 said...

Thanks for the tips it makes sense now. I will keep in mind for future assignments when doing research sometimes using a direct quote can be much easier. Either way the assignments taught me the hard and easy way to research information. I have plenty sites saved for future need.

Oh and before I forget thank you for introducing me to blogging! Who knew I would have my own prior to this course:)

Greg.Trent said...

This has been an absolutely wonderful class! The things that I learned in a short summer semester will help me with my future educational and professional needs. It taught me that I really didn't know what "research" was, but I'll now be better equipped to take on a university. Thank you so much for providing this course.

CClop said...

I used the resources from LBCC library for this assignment and I did not find that it was too difficult, but I do appreciate the tips;they are very helpful. Thank you for being a great instructor and I know that I would take more classes with you as the instructor.