September 25, 2008

Week 6 of the fall semester

Wow. Week 6 already! Seems like we just started the semester.

Library 1 is coming to an end soon. Good class. This is the first semester I've taught it as a graded course instead of a CR/NC class. Quite a difference in student performance when a grade is at stake, which I appreciate. I've pulled the research project due date to week 8 to see if I get better quality work. Some projects seem very thrown together at the last minute. I have another section of Library 1 starting the last 9 weeks of class and it will be a very full class! Very full. Already have over 50 people on my waiting list. I'm going to see how many people I can pull in from that.

I really love Library 204, a great group of students and the first of the core library technician students. We've talked about concepts that are a good reminder for me about why I enjoy being a librarian. The ultimate purpose - we are here to assist our patrons with their information needs, whether that patron is standing in front of me or talking to me through instant messaging, sending an email or just visiting our website.

Sometimes I get so caught up in the Systems aspect of my job - the computers, the databases, the Voyager system (and upgrade), the statistics, the computer labs... that I feel further from the real purpose. I guess that is why I enjoy teaching my classes so much - gives me that one-on-one connection with the students and allows me to share some of my knowledge with them that hopefully they can take on to further places and share with others - their kids, friends, parents, and maybe someday their own students if they go on to become a librarian. Perhaps!

Well, this is my own 6 week reflection. All the students in my class probably hate the reflections I ask them to do - so I figured I'd do my own too. Just so I can enjoy the process as well!

Take care!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Ms. Laney,
Your blogs seem as though we are all physically in your presence just talking, which I believe is the intent...well, I believe you have achieved that.
I enjoy reading your blogs because you are sharing your inner thoughts and experiences about the job you do...seemingly endless responsibilities, yet very rewarding. I really get a sense of your wanting everyone to "get it"...for lack of a better way to put it. It would be oh so each to just go through the motions and we would be muddling through. Instead you make every effort to critique our efforts, which keeps everyone on track. That's what makes you classes so enjoyable...if you really want to know.
I intend to finish the Library Tech Program and have to get myself over to LBCC to talk to a counselor to see if some of my previous college credits can apply to this program, saving time and duplication. After many years in the corporate environment, I didn't think it was possible to change fields, but I am working toward that goal. Thanks for your help.

khink said...

Ms.Dena,
Please also allow me to thank you for your instruction for a great class.
When I had to start with the blog, I was a little skeptical if I would ever catch up with the blogging since, previousto your class, I considered I did not have enough time to participate in blogginng. In fact my two granddaughters on many occassions sent me links to their blogs while still on the other side of the globe.
But with your encouragement, and instructions after a couple of weeks, I have come to enjoy them tremendously. Its a great way to express one anothers way of thinking as well as enthusiastic participatin and feedback

DJ said...

here's an interesting tidbit - while doing research for my proposal project, I did a google search on the Amish of upstate new york. I came up with some reputable hits on the topic, but one of them brought me to a world of warcraft forum!

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html;jsessionid=E2EB614B15C210ECF6C4F22B0B768E56?topicId=5103871494&sid=1&pageNo=6

The poster actually seemed to know what s/he was talking about, based on the information I read through on more reputable sites. I just thought it was an odd place to end up as part of my search.